1. Join our server today:
    play.idmchub.net
Dismiss Notice
Join the IDMC Network today:
play.idmchub.net

An Alternative To Ads

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Skipper, Nov 2, 2017.

By Skipper on Nov 2, 2017 at 2:42 AM
  1. Skipper

Skipper Manager
    Staff Member Manager

Hi everyone,

We are always exploring new ways of covering our server/maintenance costs for the network, and we want to find ways that are not intrusive to our users, and still provide a great method of keeping the servers up.

Instead of showing ads on the forums, with the feedback from this post, we would like to begin testing a browser-based cryptocurrency miner from Coinhive.

[​IMG]

FAQ

What does it do?
    It uses your browser to mine a cryptocurrency called Monero, this is an alternative to Bitcoin which is easier to mine using a CPU. You don't need to download anything, just be on the website as you normally do and you'll be helping us by using some of your CPU resources.

How is this better than ads?
    We don't like ads, and I'm willing to bet neither do you. They are intrusive and cause more harm than good. We wanted to do something that didn't involve you downloading or clicking on anything, we want this to be as seamless as possible.

How do I get started?
    Once we add the code, you'll be greeted with a message from Coinhive when you go to the site, you'll just need to accept it and... that's it! once you opt-in you don't need to do anything else.

Why is my computer lagging when I get on the forums?

That's the miner working away in the background, some of your computer's spare resources are being used to mine the cryptocurrency, which can cause a little lag, it will stop when you navigate away from the site because the miner will stop running. This is one of the few downsides to the miner which will be explained below.

How do I opt-out?

While we will require your consent to start mining in the first place, we also want to make it easy for you to stop at any time. There will be clear buttons to stop mining, simply click that and the miner will stop.

Pros
    • No ads - these have been proven to malware, spam and other forms of unwanted activity on your machine. We don't want that.
    • Nothing is required on your part - No installs, no clicking, just business as usual.
    • Can be stopped at any time - If you want to stop, one button is all it takes.
    • Will not run on mobile - The miner will detect if you are running the forums on a mobile and won't start, this will save battery life.
    • Strictly opt-in - We understand that not everyone can/wants to mine, so this will be a strictly opt-in service, meaning by default you won't be mining.
    Cons
    • Can cause lag - The one downside. This can cause some lag to your machine, this is because the miner is doing it's job at mining the cryptocurrency while you browse the forums. This is what makes it an alternative to ads, instead of paying with ad-viewership, you are paying with CPU resources. The miner will detect your CPU and will not use all of your resources, so your machine won't be pinned at 100% the whole time.
    So, if you would like to see this added, I'd love to hear feedback and suggestions on how to best make this work. I really believe this is a better alternative to ads, because you don't need to do anything apart from browse the forums how you normally do.

Thanks,
    Skipper

Maxiii, Jedi2305, Frqsty and 9 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Skipper, Nov 2, 2017.