1. Join our server today:
    play.idmchub.net
Dismiss Notice
Join the IDMC Network today:
play.idmchub.net

Guide To Making A Nice And Successful City! :)

Discussion in 'Server Guides' started by Zed, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zed

Zed Active Member

Hello, its Zed_NinerNiner, and I always find it fun to give friends tips on how to make their cities more inviting and even better, so I decided to share what I know, and what I have learned over my time on IDMC.
    This list will mostly cover cities on NS. This is because NS is where most cities are and it has also become well known for that fact.

First, you need a lot of planning, moreover knowledge of your potential and capabilities. I know many cities on NS that suffer from a lack of planning, but I also know so many that are very fantastic and satisfying because of the planning and hard work put into them. Now planning is not easy, planning requires energy and skill. Organization might not be everyone's specialty, and it sure is not mine, I often find it difficult to plan new projects, and I typically lose track of them too. Yet organization will help you so much and I recommend practicing organization by having clean storage and a good idea of the geography of your soon-to-be city.

Now that the basic organizational rules are established, we can begin with the basic city layout.
    Here is a valuable question to have in mind: Where should the center be? Or where will I put the warp?
    The simple answer is mark an area, make a circle around it, and expand from there, once you have expanded with road layouts and a circle for the spawn area for your city, you should have enough room for starting.

Now nobody likes a city with boring buildings (which mine suffers from quite often) or poorly made buildings. Make sure you have proper funding for making buildings and infrastructural things like sidewalks, roads, and bridges! It is typical to advertise in /ah or in public chat. However, do not beg or cry for money, as people generally do not like it. Once you've gathered money to make nice buildings, start advertising, DO NOT SET THE WARP THOUGH! Get people to /TPA to you and see what they think. If they like the buildings they might give a donation, some people might even apply for staff. This will be the next part.

Hiring staff can be tricky. Remember, you can't trust everybody! Make sure you have at least 2 active members running your city at this point, you can hire more later. You should also make sure this co-runner or co-owner receives a good pay and share of the city.
    Here are some questions to consider when hiring your first staff member: Is he/she a good builder? Is he/she fair and cooperative? Or is he/she wealthy? Luckily, my friend Bagadude was all of these, he can build well, he is fair and cooperative, and he can fund his own buildings with ease.
    The dynamic duo you will create will be the most valuable asset in making your early city fantastic!

One thing to keep in mind, is as you and your partner build and plan new areas for your early city, try not to make everything on one flat level. The most popular cities on NS, such as Ironhaven and Novamy do not have flat, level terrain all around. Varying terrain adds a more realistic nature to the city and will make it better!

Wow! You have 14 big buildings! A few houses! 3 Roads! And a lot of nice infrastructure! You even have a spawn set up! Its time to get that warp! If you have $300,000 you can buy a warp from a mod or admin. They will set it. Now choose the name wisely! If you choose "Katniptown" nobody will want to visit your city because they will think you're a crazy cat person. If you choose something nicer like "Goldencapital" your city will be popular. FIRST IMPRESSIONS ARE IMPORTANT!

Next to the warp, set up beacons, donor boards, maps, rules, and information on the city. This stuff will help people become acquainted with the city and they will feel much better about it!

Congratulations! Your city is now popular, loaded with good buildings, well organized, and you even have 5 staff members! You are not done!!!! You need more money coming in for more and more buildings, you need more fans and loyal patrons! Set up a shop and farm. Ironhaven has /warp Igfarm3 and it has helped the city's popularity grow at astonishing rates! Things like this will put you in good favor with many other city owners and ordinary players on the server!

Lastly, get mods, builders, and admins at your city to rate it. This is rather simple; just ask them. They will be very nice about it. I have had many good ratings for Novamy, and when I mention approval from staff, more people come knowing that it should be good.

Once you have completed these steps, you will have a great city! Just don't abuse your power, act rude, or get banned/muted, it stinks, I should know.
    You'll be great!
    THANKS FOR READING!

2. SCZealot

SCZealot Active Member

Lmao nobody is going to be living in my sacred land until I'm done with it. And when it is done, it will only be for those who have reached a divine void and are ready to restart the server from nothing.

Very good tips though. I can see why my first town decayed away and was forgotten.

3. Zed

Zed Active Member

Good luck with the Sacred lands of the Toblerones

4. SCZealot

SCZealot Active Member

lol I should actually change what I previously said to "nobody is going to be living in my sacred land because there are never any new players on to join my town." That would be much more accurate. :/

5. YaboiDan_USA

YaboiDan_USA Member

Good Job on writing all of that, I'll try to make a city soon or later. I'll make it using your tips.

6. Zed

Zed Active Member

thanks for reading! good luck

YaboiDan_USA likes this.
  7. IdConfirmed | Mackenzie Molloy

8. Raymond&Bobo

Raymond&Bobo Novice

It's a good way to make a city , hope this still works after reset .

9. Noob_Double

Noob_Double Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.