1. Join our server today:
    play.idmchub.net

[temp] New Forums - Feedback Appreciated

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Skipper, Feb 6, 2017.

By Skipper on Feb 6, 2017 at 1:51 AM
  1. Skipper

Skipper Manager
    Staff Member Head Staff

Hi everyone,

Just finished with the new forums that I'm hoping will take over from what we have now. However, I won't change it over without a clear yes from everyone.

=========================================================

Edit 3:
    Playground is live, check it out here: https://forums.ideactivatemc.net/

You'll need to request a new password before logging in.

Please note this is not final. Any posts or content made will be wiped soon. If we get the go-ahead I will make the current forums read-only and then import the data.

Edit 2:
    I'm hopping on Discord while I create something for you to all play around with, stick around and you'll have first access to it :) Be sure to use the #new_forums chat room and I'll keep updates coming in.

Edit 1:

From the feedback so far, the main concerns are the layout, design and creature comforts like the sidebar, etc.

The posts that you see in the screenshot are actually part of a snapshot that I took of the current forums and dumped into there, some formatting is off and some things aren't displaying correctly. Not the best screenshot now I'm looking at it again.

The design can always be changed, that's just how it looks out of the box.

I'll get something made up tonight that you can actually visit and try out for yourselves, but here are a few reasons as to why the switch is suggested:
    • Secure by default - our current forums are not SSL (https://) secured, not a big deal since we don't manage sensitive data but it's still frowned upon. The new forums are already secured.
    • Much better management tools for staff
    • Better post creation for users - the preview window renders as you type, so you know exactly what is going to be posted
    Just a few things listed there but by no means all of them, if you want to know more about it then head over to http://www.discourse.org/.

Here's a screenshot of what I have so far, it's still open to suggestions:

The user avatars/pictures haven't transferred so that's why there are letters instead, the actual site would have the pictures there instead.

[​IMG]

As always, any feedback is appreciated. I'll post more details if everyone is happy for the switch.

#1 Skipper, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Pug likes this.
?

Do you prefer the look of the new forums?

1. Yes

36.2%
  2. No

44.7%
  3. More details please

19.1%

Comments

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Skipper, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Jared
      Jared
      No. That one is ugly af.
      Lynkono and TheTurtle_Gamer like this.
    2. NuclearPug
      NuclearPug
      Well I voted yes because this one is sort of laggy and I hope this one's more smooth
      LowlyGentlemen likes this.
    3. TheTurtle_Gamer
      TheTurtle_Gamer
      Tbh skipper, it looks confusing, it doesn't look as easy to use, it looks messy and un-navigatable, it doesn't make sense, I don't see half the right features, and I don't see anything wrong with this one. It works fine, or looks good, it's clean and easy to use, and it will take everyone forever to get used to the new one if you change it. It is a 100% no from me.
      Lynkono likes this.
    4. Jared
      Jared
      I freaking agree with this noob. Sorry, Alex, xD.
    5. NuclearPug
      NuclearPug
      nah m8 it looks cool want to try it
    6. TheTurtle_Gamer
      TheTurtle_Gamer
      All good mate, no offence taken :p
      Yes, you want to try it, it doesnt mean you have to disrespect my opinion, like I didn't disrespect yours.
    7. NuclearPug
      NuclearPug
      OK so I never disrespected you I was just saying I wnat to try something new no need to get mad dude
    8. Pizza1000000
    9. MasterGabeMOD
    10. LowlyGentlemen
      LowlyGentlemen
      "Here's a screenshot of what I have so far, it's still open to suggestions"

Why are you people so mean? ;-;
      Personally, the forums site is in need of a change. With what PugMan0501 said, this site does take a bit of time to open and can be laggy at times.

I understand the point of view from people wanting to keep the site as it is, people simply don't know any better (not meant to be an insult). With this sites new sleek design it looks like quite the improvement along with new features we could look forward to.

As some people have stated, a few key features are indeed missing. But this is a Work In Progress, it isn't meant to be official yet and still has plenty of room for improvement.

People need to give this a chance and not be so harsh on it, my vote is a Yes and always will be for I see this new design as our way to the future.
      Froxinite and NuclearPug like this.
    11. _EmmaFish_
      _EmmaFish_
      Not gonna lie, I don't like it. I personally believe it is rather unaesthetic, structurally plain and the fonts are not to my taste. I would like to stick with the current composition until a more pleasing design can be thought out. It reminds me a lot of the Gmail look (website and application) and strikes me as being somewhat generic as opposed to individual and unique.
      TheTurtle_Gamer likes this.
    12. Dante
      Dante

I agree with Emma on that statement, But I think that it will have room for improvement and soon people will learn to love it!
    13. TheTurtle_Gamer
      TheTurtle_Gamer
      What I see in this rather bad screenshot, is what looks like a list of the latest threads and it looks like spam. There is no right hand bar that shows you staff online or the people you follow, and it is just awful looking.
      I won't learn to love it. What is the point in changing it so everyone gets confused no longer knows how to use it? It looks messy, inaccessible, and confusing, it quite frankly looks like an iPad built-in app.
      Agreed, it's horrible. It design have the part that shows online staff members, latest threads or people you follow online, and the screenshot provided is just a list of threads that looks spammy and horrible.
    14. BowMaster01
      BowMaster01
      I think the reason why no one likes this new look is because everyone is used to the current forum look. I think with a few tweaks, it could be much better than this current one. :p
    15. TheTurtle_Gamer
      TheTurtle_Gamer
      There are less visible features. There is no right hand bar, the mail and the notifications seem to be jumbled up in the same place, and the useless screenshot provided shows a list of spam of the latest threads as a main feature, where as on the current one it is a sub-feature. Also the new one looks like a cheap iPad app and has 0 curves, it's all rectangles and non-zen, it's disgusting.
    16. Dante
      Dante

l would give this a shot.... +1
    17. NuclearPug
      NuclearPug
      You people need to try something new give this thing a chance you might like it it looks really cool to me mabey we could try it @Skipper and if everyone doesn't like it then we could go back to this one come on give it a chance please!
    18. xXRedVikingXx
      xXRedVikingXx
      This new look is ugly. When I first saw it, I didn't know how to read it till i looked closer
      TheTurtle_Gamer likes this.
    19. TheTurtle_Gamer
      TheTurtle_Gamer
      Same
      I would very very happy to give it a trial, but I don't want it implementing unless we can. @Skipper, if there is any way of giving it a trial and see if people like it I'm fine with that. I just don't want it implementing without it being able to be put back if it doesn't work well.
      NuclearPug likes this.